Broome Hut AIARE 1 Course
Take your avalanche education to the next level with our one-of-a-kind hut trips! This AIARE 1 Hut Trip is based out of the Broome Hut on beautiful Berthoud Pass. You’ll spend three days and two nights exploring backcountry terrain on skis, splitboard, or snowshoes with dedicated AIARE instructors. Whether you’re new to the backcountry or an experienced veteran, Berthoud Pass has fun and exciting terrain that will provide a fun atmosphere for learning firsthand.
Our team is made of experienced AIARE instructors and professional mountain guides with decades of experience in avalanche terrain. This experience comes from the Alps to Alaska to right here in the Front Range of Colorado. Colorado is one of the country’s premier backcountry skiing and splitboarding destinations. The Broome Hut sits just a mile from the trailhead near Berthoud Pass. This allows for an accessible trip for all ability levels. This AIARE 1 Hut Trip course combines classroom and field instruction, providing your group with a solid introduction to avalanche awareness. This course covers traveling in and around avalanche terrain, while gaining insight into decision-making strategies. This course also covers the human factors involved in avalanches, developing planning and travel techniques, and comprehensive rescue skills. Experience how avalanche beacons work, how to dig and analyze a snow pit, how to use the Decision Making Checklist, and more.
Reasons Why CMS AIARE Courses Are Worth It!
- CMS is the countries largest AIARE Provider for a reason!
- Our Instructors are educators, not just minimally qualified instructors
- We spend the majority of the course in the mountains, not inside
- We provide valuable pre-course material to help you prepare
- Our Instructors are career guides, with decades of personal experience
- Our Instructors are AMGA Ski Guide trained or Certified
- We have a full-time office staff to answer all of your questions
- We supply our students with their own slope meter
- Variety of course offerings to meet our guests scheduling needs. Huts (Berthoud), Splits, CMS, Summit, Aspen L2's
- Get avalanche training in the ski venue you ski in locally.
- Fully sponsored by industry leaders Dynafit, Scarpa, BCA.
- Full snow safety rental fleet.
- Neptune ski shop support with rentals of ski equip.
This course can be taken on snowshoes, skis, splitboard, or snowboard. Participants on alpine touring rigs must have experience on their setup prior to taking this course. Snowshoes are available for rent upon request. Students on skis or boards must be comfortable in steep blue to black terrain at the areas.
Price includes & Excludes:
- Student manual and weather-proof AIARE field book
- BCA slope meter
- 2 nights lodging at the Broome Hut
- 3 days of instruction
- AIARE Certified Instructors
- AIARE certificate of completion
Berthoud Pass Warming Hut
10 Things you’ll learn about traveling in avalanche terrain:
- Types of avalanches and their characteristics
- How avalanches form and release
- Primary start-zone factors
- Identifying avalanche terrain
- Ways to spot and avoid common trigger points
- Trip planning, preparation, and navigation
- Travel techniques
- Group decision-making skills
- Avalanche rescue techniques
- Weather, terrain, and snowpack considerations
Two nights of lodging at Broome Hut included
All of our courses can be run as custom outings. If your group is interested in a custom avalanche training course, please call us at 800-836-4008.