Avalanche Education Split Course
We’re bringing avalanche education to you! Join us for our unique, convenient split course experience in either Boulder or Denver and let us accommodate your work schedule. This AIARE 1 Avalanche Education course will meet in the classroom for three hours Tuesday and Thursday evenings (in either Denver or Boulder) before reconvening in Estes Park or Frisco over the weekend.
Our instructor team is made of experienced AIARE instructors and professional mountain guides with decades of experience in avalanche terrain, from the Alps to Alaska to right here in Rocky Mountain National Park, one of the country’s premier winter adventure destinations. In addition to classroom work, our course includes field instruction each day to provide a well-rounded education to backcountry decision-making, trip planning, terrain selection, and companion rescue techniques. This course provides essential training for anyone traveling in avalanche terrain and can be taken on backcountry skis, split board, or snowshoes. With a maximum ratio of six students per instructor in a twenty seven-hour course, we exceed AIARE minimum standards to provide the highest level of instruction.
10 Things you’ll learn about traveling in avalanche terrain:
- Types of avalanches and their characteristics
- How avalanches form and release
- Primary start-zone factors
- Identifying avalanche terrain
- Ways to spot and avoid common trigger points
- Trip planning, preparation, and navigation
- Travel techniques
- Group decision-making skills
- Avalanche rescue techniques
- Weather, terrain, and snowpack considerations
This course can be taken on snowshoes, skis, splitboard, or snowboard. Participants on alpine touring rigs must have experience on their setup prior to taking this course. Snowshoes are available for rent upon request. Students on skis or boards must be comfortable in steep blue to black terrain at the areas.
Price includes & Excludes:
- AIARE Certified Course Leader and Instructors
- Student Manual
- Weather-proof AIARE field book
- BCA slope meter
- AIARE certificate of completion
*Lodging available for $40/night
Reasons Why CMS AIARE Courses Are Worth It!
- CMS is the countries largest AIARE Provider for a reason!
- Our Instructors are educators, not just minimally qualified instructors
- We spend the majority of the course in the mountains, not inside
- We provide valuable pre-course material to help you prepare
- Our Instructors are career guides, with decades of personal experience
- Our Instructors are AMGA Ski Guide trained or Certified
- We have a full-time office staff to answer all of your questions
- We supply our students with their own slope meter
- Variety of course offerings to meet our guests scheduling needs. Huts (Berthoud), Splits, CMS, Summit, Aspen L2's
- Get avalanche training in the ski venue you ski in locally.
- Fully sponsored by industry leaders Dynafit, Scarpa, BCA.
- Full snow safety rental fleet.
- Neptune ski shop support with rentals of ski equip.
With a sixteen-bed lodge available, Colorado Mountain School provides students the opportunity to spend their entire stay in Estes Park without the hassle of commuting. Our lodge is conveniently located in downtown Estes Park with a full kitchen, WiFi and hot showers. Lodging must be book separately for $40/night for CMS students. Please call our office for reservations.
All Instructors are certified by: