The Next Step in Avalanche Education
If you spend anytime in backcountry during the winter months, you really should consider taking our AIARE level 2 course. This course is no longer just for ski patrol or mountain guides. This course is designed for the general public to take after completing the AIARE level 1 course. The AIARE level 2 builds from the introductory avalanche hazard management model introduced in the level one and adds to it the evaluation of factors critical to stability evaluation.
This three-day course, held in Rocky Mountain National Park, emphasizes field observations, documentation and the science of snow. You’ll learn advanced snow stability analysis, avalanche forecasting and how to observe and record weather, snowpack, and avalanche activity.
- More about avalanche terrain, particularly from the perspective of stability analysis
- How the snowpack develops and metamorphoses over time; and discuss the factors that contribute to spatial variability
- The standard observation guidelines and recording formats for factors that influence or indicate snow stability
- An advanced understanding of avalanche release and triggering mechanisms
- How to use snow stability analysis and a forecasting framework
-AIARE Level 1 Avalanche Course or equivalent training
-AIARE Companion Rescue Course
-Individuals must be on an AT setup, Tele setup, or splitboard.
-Individuals must know how to skin, ski hard blues/blacks at the resort, and ski in powder
Price includes & Excludes:
- AIARE Certified Course Leader and Instructors
- Student Manual
- Weather-proof AIARE field book
- AIARE certificate of completion
*Lodging available for $40/night
Reasons Why CMS AIARE Courses Are Worth It!
- CMS is the countries largest AIARE Provider for a reason!
- Our Instructors are educators, not just minimally qualified instructors
- We spend the majority of the course in the mountains, not inside
- We provide valuable pre-course material to help you prepare
- Our Instructors are career guides, with decades of personal experience
- Our Instructors are AMGA Ski Guide trained or Certified
- We have a full-time office staff to answer all of your questions
- We supply our students with their own slope meter
- Variety of course offerings to meet our guests scheduling needs. Huts (Berthoud), Splits, CMS, Summit, Aspen L2's
- Get avalanche training in the ski venue you ski in locally.
- Fully sponsored by industry leaders Dynafit, Scarpa, BCA.
- Full snow safety rental fleet.
- Neptune ski shop support with rentals of ski equip.
With a sixteen-bed lodge available, Colorado Mountain School provides students the opportunity to spend their entire stay in Estes Park without the hassle of commuting. Our lodge is conveniently located in downtown Estes Park with a full kitchen, WiFi and hot showers. Lodging must be book separately for $40/night for CMS students. Please call our office for reservations.
All Instructors for this course are certified by: