The Next Step in Avalanche Education
If you spend anytime in backcountry during the winter months, you really should consider taking our AIARE level 2 course. This course is no longer just for ski patrol or mountain guides. This course is designed for the general public to take after completing the AIARE level 1 course. The AIARE level 2 builds from the introductory avalanche hazard management model introduced in the level one and adds to it the evaluation of factors critical to stability evaluation.
This four-day course, held in Rocky Mountain National Park, emphasizes field observations, documentation and the science of snow. You’ll learn advanced snow stability analysis, avalanche forecasting and how to observe and record weather, snowpack, and avalanche activity.
- More about avalanche terrain, particularly from the perspective of stability analysis
- How the snowpack develops and metamorphoses over time; and discuss the factors that contribute to spatial variability
- The standard observation guidelines and recording formats for factors that influence or indicate snow stability
- An advanced understanding of avalanche release and triggering mechanisms
- How to use snow stability analysis and a forecasting framework
-AIARE Level 1 Avalanche Course or equivalent training
-Individuals must be on an AT setup, Tele setup, or splitboard.
-Individuals must know how to skin, ski hard blues/blacks at the resort, and ski in powder
Price includes & Excludes:
- AIARE Certified Course Leader and Instructors
- Student Manual
- Weather-proof AIARE field book
- AIARE certificate of completion
*Lodging available for $30/night
Varies by Course (please consult our office to confirm):
Colorado Mountain School
341 Moraine Avenue
Estes Park, CO 80517
Fall River Village
200 Filbey Ct
Estes Park, CO 80517
With a sixteen-bed lodge available exclusively to Colorado Mountain School students, you can spend your entire weekend in Estes Park without the hassle of commuting. Our lodge is conveniently located in downtown Estes Park with a full kitchen, WiFi and hot showers. Lodging must be book separately for $30/night. Please call our office for reservations.
All Instructors for this course are certified by: