The SPI Exam Prep course will help to prepare you for the AMGA SPI Exam here at Colorado Mountain School, or any other AMGA SPI Exam provider.
Gaining certification through an AMGA SPI Exam is a great first step into the world of mountain guiding. More companies, institutions, and agencies are requiring that their instructors have some American Mountain Guide Association training and certification. The AMGA Single Pitch Instructor Program is the only single pitch climbing instructor certification program that is recognized both nationally and internationally.
This one day course will go over the nine main areas within the exam which include:
- Risk Management
- Client Care
- Technical Systems
- Terrain Assessment
- Movement Skills
- Mountain Sense
- Instructional Technique
The Single Pitch Instructor (SPI) Program teaches climbing instructors to proficiently facilitate and instruct the sport of rock climbing in a single pitch setting. The SPI is the only internationally recognized single pitch climbing instructor certification program in the United States. It was developed to fit in the AMGA Rock program. Benefits:
- It significantly improves the instructor’s skill sets and integrates into the next level of training, the AMGA Rock Instructor Course.
- The program is for current, active rock climbers who have a real desire to teach rock climbing to novices in a single pitch setting.
- The SPI Course is a 27-hour training course that normally runs as three consecutive nine-hour days or day classes with evening sessions.
- The SPI Assessment is a minimum of 16 hours run over a two-day period.
- Certification lasts for three years as long as the candidate keeps current AMGA Membership and First Aid Certification.
- After three years current SPI’s can re-take the SPI Assessment to regain the SPI certification.
- Taking any higher level AMGA Course also recertifies the SPI certification for another three years.
Participants need to have taken already taken the AMGA SPI Course.
We recommend taking the AMGA SPI Course to prepare for this course.