Castle Peak Mountaineering
The Intro to Mountaineering Castle Peak weekend course will teach you the skills needed to climb a peak along with how to camp in a alpine setting. Day one will be spent traveling up to Montezuma Basin and setting up a camp at 12,000 feet. The second half of the day is focused on skills in this high alpine basin. The skills we teach are traveling as a roped team, walking in crampons, using a mountaineering axe properly, and self arresting a fall. We’ll be working on belaying, basic movement, short-roping. On day two, we’ll utilize the skills we learned on day one and climb Castle Peak 14265′ from our high camp in Montezuma Basin. This trip is a great opportunity to learn new skills or brush up on your mountaineering skills with the added bonus of summiting a classic Colorado 14er.
*in collaboration with Aspen Alpine Guides, under special use permit, US Forest Service, White River National Forest
- Learn to use an ice axe and crampons
- See how snow anchors and mountaineering technical systems work
- Try mountaineering with minimal time commitment
- Learn to move efficiently on snow and rock
- Experience a technical climb with a climb of Castle Peak 14265'
No experience required