This one-day course teaches you the fundamentals of backcountry skiing. You’ll get plenty of time skinning up slopes and skiing back down. More importantly, you’ll be introduced to the craft of backcountry decision-making and skiing techniques by one of our expert guides. Make great strides toward becoming an educated and independent backcountry skier. The Intro to Backcountry skiing course is the perfect course to take before taking an AIARE course.
- Improve your ability to ski in backcountry conditions
- Learn how to stay warm and comfortable
- Get feedback on using your equipment effectively
- Learn how to skin uphill efficiently
- Gain basic route-finding and navigational skills
- Save money – you’ll no longer need lift tickets to find good skiing!
Intermediate downhill skiing skills – you should feel comfortable on blue runs at resorts.
Colorado Mountain School
341 Moraine Avenue
Estes Park, CO 80517
With a sixteen-bed lodge available, Colorado Mountain School provides students the opportunity to spend their entire stay in Estes Park without the hassle of commuting. Our lodge is conveniently located in downtown Estes Park with a full kitchen, WiFi and hot showers. Lodging must be booked separately for $40/night for CMS students. Please call our office for reservations.
All of our courses can be run as custom outings. If you're interested in a course, but it doesn't fit into your schedule, please check out our custom guiding options.