This one-day course teaches you the fundamentals of backcountry skiing. You’ll get plenty of time skinning up slopes and skiing back down. More importantly, you’ll be introduced to the craft of backcountry decision-making and skiing techniques by one of our expert guides. Make great strides toward becoming an educated and independent backcountry skier. The Intro to Backcountry skiing course is the perfect course to take before taking an AIARE course.
- Improve your ability to ski in backcountry conditions
- Learn how to stay warm and comfortable
- Get feedback on using your equipment effectively
- Learn how to skin uphill efficiently
- Gain basic route-finding and navigational skills
- Save money – you’ll no longer need lift tickets to find good skiing!
Intermediate downhill skiing skills – you should feel comfortable on blue runs at resorts.
Price includes & Excludes:
- Trained and/or certified guide
- Avalanche Equipment if needed
- Rocky Mountain National Park Entrance Fees
- Clothing, backpack and non-technical personal items
- A/T or Splitboard Equipment (Recommend Neptune Mountaineering)
- Ski Helmet
- Rescue Insurance
- Trip Insurance
- Expenses due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Colorado Mountain School
Colorado Mountain School
341 Moraine Avenue
Estes Park, CO 80517
Colorado Mountain School offers a 16 bunk lodge that is conveniently located upstairs from our office and classroom in downtown Estes Park. The lodge features a full kitchen, WiFi, a lounge and hot showers. Reserve a bed now for just $40 per night (plus tax).
All of our courses can be run as custom outings. If you're interested in a course, but it doesn't fit into your schedule, please check out our custom guiding options.