Ice Climbing for Beginners
Our Introduction to Ice Climbing Course is the perfect one-day introductory course covering all the basics of ice climbing. Our highly trained guides will lead the group to one of the many great ice climbing venues we have to offer. The course will usually take place in Rocky Mountain National Park, but the exact location will be decided by our guide after they are able to assess the weather, conditions, group dynamics and group size.
Learn all about ice-climbing in this introductory course.You’ll climb a lot, for in this sport more than most, practice makes perfect and practice keeps you warm!
Skills covered on this course include:
- Techniques for climbing, belaying and rappelling on ice
- Developing a natural and efficient swing with ice tools
- Developing an accurate and efficient kick
- How to stay warm and comfortable!
- Proper equipment selection
Ability to hike ~1 mile in snowshoes
Price includes & Excludes:
- Trained and/or certified guide
- Group climbing gear
- Technical hardware - climbing/ice protection, carabiners,etc
- Technical softgoods - slings, cordellette, etc
- Personal climbing gear
- Crampons specific to water ice climbing
- Ice Tools
- Avalanche transceiver, shovel, probe (if needed)
- Clothing, backpack and non-technical personal items
- Park Entrance Fees (where applicable)
- Rescue Insurance
- Trip Insurance
- Expenses due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Colorado Mountain School
Colorado Mountain School
341 Moraine Avenue
Estes Park, CO 80517
Colorado Mountain School offers a 16 bunk lodge that is conveniently located upstairs from our office and classroom in downtown Estes Park. The lodge features a full kitchen, WiFi, a lounge and hot showers. Reserve a bed now for just $40 per night (plus tax).
All of our courses can be run as custom outings. If you're interested in a course, but it doesn't fit into your schedule, please check out our custom guiding options.