Knowing where you are is the most basic mountaineering skill of all. Three-quarters of all rescue operations do not involve injuries, just locating lost hikers. This one-day, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado based, orienteering course will teach you how to navigate using a map, compass, altimeter, and GPS. Whether you’re a mountaineer, hiker or backcountry skier, this course is extremely useful. Mountain navigation skills are a must have skill set.
This course is designed to teach students to travel with confidence in the backcountry. The following skills are covered in this course:
- Become skilled in topographic map reading – visualize maps in three dimensions
- Gain compass, altimeter, and basic GPS skills
- Learn to plan your intended routes before you go
- Learn to travel in unmarked terrain
No experience necessary
Price includes & Excludes:
- Trained and/or certified guide
- Use of Map and Compass for the day
- Clothing, backpack and non-technical personal items
- Park Entrance Fees (where applicable)
- Rescue Insurance
- Trip Insurance
- Expenses due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Colorado Mountain School
Colorado Mountain School
341 Moraine Avenue
Estes Park, CO 80517
Colorado Mountain School offers a 16 bunk lodge that is conveniently located upstairs from our office and classroom in downtown Estes Park. The lodge features a full kitchen, WiFi, a lounge and hot showers. Reserve a bed now for just $40 per night (plus tax).
All of our courses can be run as custom outings. If you're interested in a course, but it doesn't fit into your schedule, please check out our custom guiding options.