Pico de Orizaba
Welcome to the Volcanoes of Mexico – the perfect introduction to climbing at higher altitudes, or for the seasoned veteran, an easily accessible training ground for Ecuador, Denali, Aconcagua, and the Himalayas. El Pico de Orizaba (18,490’) and Iztaccihuatl (17,159’) serve as the prioritized goals of this expedition. Acclimatization peaks, such as La Malinche (14,501’) provide excellent opportunities for acclimatization while ticking off another summit in addition to the giants.
Like many of our international trips to Europe, Ecuador, Chile, and Japan, the Mexico Volcanoes Expedition naturally balances the efforts made in the mountains with rest days spent exploring the local culture, enjoying well-prepared cuisine, seeing the countryside when traveling to the next peak, and relaxing in restful, pleasant accommodations.
Our 10-day itinerary provides ample time for acclimatization and a back-up summit day (see the Sample Itinerary below for more details). Both Izta (Iztaccihuatl) and Pico de Orizaba have relatively small glaciers with easily avoided crevasses. These peaks require minimal technical skill to reach the summit. This trip does not involve tent camping – all nights are spent in hotels and on-mountain huts (except in the case of a potential high camp bivouac on Pico de Orizaba depending on participant acclimatization and physical needs, as well as mountain conditions). Pack weights are limited to 25-30lbs.
Climbers joining this expedition should have taken an Introduction to Mountaineering Course with CMS or an approved comparable course with another company, or have ample personal experience using crampons, ice axe, and climbing/hiking peaks.
Expedition members should have good core strength, excellent hiking and cardio-vascular fitness, and the strong mental and physical stamina to move for 12-15 hours with short breaks. Training should include many hours each week of hiking with a pack, stairmaster, running, and a daily regimen of core-strengthening exercises such as push-ups, yoga/stretching, cross-fit, etc.c.
Price includes & Excludes:
- Most meals
- Lodging and hotel accommodations
- In-country transportation from airport pick-up to drop-off
- Guide fees
- Group climbing and camping equipment
- Park and permit fees
- Airline tickets, baggage fees
- Personal climbing equipment
- Certain foods: 2 high camp dinners, breakfasts, & hot drinks; some snacks; final dinner out on the town (see gear list)
- Trip Insurance
- Guide gratuities
- Non-meal time food & drink purchases; alcoholic beverages
- Expenses beyond CMS’s control
Terminal 1, Puerta 8. Your guides will be waiting for you with a Colorado Mountain School sign as you exit the customs area.
Orizaba: Climbing Volcanoes Itinerary
Hotel, cabin, hostel or bivouac; double+ occupancy
*single option available for additional $500
· 25% deposit due with an accepted application
· Balance due 90 days before Day 1 of trip
Expedition Cancellation Policy:
· A non-refundable $100 application fee will not be refunded from your initial deposit.
· 100% (minus application fee) will be refunded 120 days prior to trip start.
· 50% (minus application fee) will be refunded 91 to 119 days before trip start.
· 25% (minus application fee) will be refunded 46 to 90 days before trip start.
· 0% will be refunded 0 to 45 days before trip start.