Ski Chile Volcanoes
Let’s ride in the summer!!! Upon your arrival to the airport in Temuco, Chile, look west and see the conical volcanoes you will be climbing and skiing! You will spend the first of three sections of the trip residing in the quaint mountain village of Malalcahuello, home to excellent restaurants and a thermal spa, you will ski on and around the magnificent Volcan Lonquimay (9,400ft/2865m). During your short drive each day from the cabins to the ski area and volcano, you will see the uniquely stunning Araucaria tree forests. Evenings throughout this trip are spent enjoying the array of excellent restaurants and bars, cooking as a group in our cabin, optional movie nights, and visits to the local hot springs/spa.
Volcan Llaima (10,253/3125m) is the next stop on the trip. This mountain is a little more remote and is home to Refugio Llaima, an all-inclusive chalet at the base of the volcano. You will ski tour on the mountain and if weather and conditions permit, go for a summit climb and ski. From there, you will travel just a little further south to finish the trip with off-piste ski mountaineering on Volcan Villarrica (9,431ft/2875m) and enjoying the world renowned adventure town of Pucon.
The views from each of these Volcanoes is incredible! Look north or south and you see the string of volcanoes reaching in each direction as far as the eye can see. To the east, the Andes of Argentina, and to the west, the Pacific Ocean off in the distance. This trip includes a mix of group cooking at the cabins and dining at restaurants.
Trip Participants should be advanced to expert resort skiers/riders and have some experience riding in the backcountry. Having taken an Introduction to Ski-Mountaineering (or Introduction to Mountaineering) with CMS (or other climbing school) will ease the learning curve of ski-mountaineering on this trip. Skiers will be using Alpine Touring ski equipment and snowboarders will be using Splitboards.
Difficulty: Advanced to Expert Ski/Ride Skills; Beginner to Intermediate Mountaineering Skills; Good to Excellent Fitness Level
Trip Participants will have a better experience and be able to participate in all the planned activities having trained cardio-vascular strength through uphill hiking, running, cycling, or mountain biking, as well as a daily regimen of core-strengthening exercises such as push-ups, pull-ups, squats, yoga, cross-fit, etc. Having gotten a fair amount of skiing/riding during the previous winter will be helpful.
Price includes & Excludes:
- All meals
- Lodging/hotel accommodation
- Lift Tickets
- Guide fees
- Group climbing equipment (ropes, etc.)
- In-country transportation from airport pick-up to drop-off
- Airline tickets, baggage fees
- Personal skiing, snowboarding, avalanche, and climbing equipment
- Trip Insurance
- Guide gratuities
- Expenses beyond CMS’s control
Lead Guide: Mike Lewis
· $800 deposit due with an accepted application
· Balance due 120 days before Day 1 of trip
Expedition Cancellation Policy:
· A non-refundable $100 application fee will not be refunded from your initial deposit.
· 100% (minus application fee) will be refunded 120 days prior to trip start.
· 50% (minus application fee) will be refunded 91 to 119 days before trip start.
· 25% (minus application fee) will be refunded 46 to 90 days before trip start.
· 0% will be refunded 0 to 45 days before trip start.