Steep Ice Climbing
Our vertical ice climbing course is perfect if you just took our intro to ice climbing course or if you have years of experience and just need a tune up on your technique. Our guides will get you on the steeps, pinpoint your strengths and weaknesses, and offer specific, personalized coaching to help you avoid the dreaded vertical ice pump. This course is based out of beautiful Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado.
Colorado is known for excellent ice climbing and our highly trained guides will make sure you experience everything there is to offer. We'll help you to:
- Learn to use your skeleton more and your muscles less
- Develop the ability to find rests and relax on the steepest ice
- Learn techniques to avoid over-gripping – the source of the pump
- Practice the art of swinging less and climbing more
- Learn how rock climbing skills translate to more fluid and efficient movement on ice
- Climb a lot and get expert feedback
Previous ice climbing experience
Colorado Mountain School
341 Moraine Avenue
Estes Park, CO 80517
With a sixteen-bed lodge available, Colorado Mountain School provides students the opportunity to spend their entire stay in Estes Park without the hassle of commuting. Our lodge is conveniently located in downtown Estes Park with a full kitchen, WiFi and hot showers. Lodging must be booked separately for $40/night for CMS students. Please call our office for reservations.
All of our courses can be run as custom outings. If you're interested in a course, but it doesn't fit into your schedule, please check out our custom guiding options.