Multipitch trad climbers face the anchoring challenge in different circumstances than sport climbers or toprope climbers. They often need to construct an anchor with a depleted rack of options, in less than ideal places on the cliff, and their anchors can potentially be subjected to the highest forces and loads a climbing team can create. For this reason, advanced rock climbing anchors require sound fundamentals, creativity, and a more sophisticated approach to the anchoring challenge.
In order to focus on the anchoring challenge, this one day course uses a combination of ground school and mini-climb classrooms to give students the most hands-on experience possible. Students will spend an introductory session discussing and experimenting with new ideas, new tactics, and they’ll be coaching and mentored along the way. Then, students transition to a series of mini-climbs where the anchoring challenges become increasingly difficult. At each step, our instructors provide support, feedback, and suggestions to keep students moving in the right direction. By course-end, every student will have an action plan for the next time they face a complex anchor-building scenario.
8am : Introductions and Approach
9:30am : Fundamentals Discussion and Ground School
11am : Mini-climb Demo and Discussion
12pm : Mini-climb 1
1pm : Mini-climb 2
2pm : Mini-climb 3
3pm : Q&A and Debrief
Colorado Mountain School offers a 16 bunk lodge that is conveniently located upstairs from our office and classroom in downtown Estes Park. The lodge features a full kitchen, WiFi, a lounge and hot showers. Reserve a bed now for just $40 per night (plus tax).
All of our courses can be run as custom outings. If you’re interested in a course, but it doesn’t fit into your schedule, please check out our custom guiding options.
All Upcoming Dates and Locations:
- April 25, 2021 - April 25, 2021 - Advanced Rock Climbing Anchors - Boulder, Colorado
- May 23, 2021 - May 23, 2021 - Advanced Rock Climbing Anchors - Denver, Colorado
- June 20, 2021 - June 20, 2021 - Advanced Rock Climbing Anchors - Boulder, Colorado
- July 18, 2021 - July 18, 2021 - Advanced Rock Climbing Anchors - Denver, Colorado
- August 15, 2021 - August 15, 2021 - Advanced Rock Climbing Anchors - Boulder, Colorado
- September 12, 2021 - September 12, 2021 - Advanced Rock Climbing Anchors - Denver, Colorado
- October 10, 2021 - October 10, 2021 - Advanced Rock Climbing Anchors - Boulder, Colorado
- November 7, 2021 - November 7, 2021 - Advanced Rock Climbing Anchors - Denver, Colorado