We’re bringing avalanche education to you! Join us for our unique, convenient split course experience in either Boulder or Denver and let us accommodate your work schedule. This AIARE 1 Avalanche Education course will meet in the classroom for three hours Tuesday and Thursday evenings (in either Denver or Boulder) before reconvening in Estes Park over the weekend.
The AIARE 1 Split Course is a four-day / 24-hour introduction to avalanche hazard management.
Students can expect to develop a good grounding in how to prepare for and carry out a backcountry trip, to understand basic decision making while in the field, and to learn rescue techniques required to find and dig up a buried person (if an avalanche occurs and someone in the party is caught).
Our instructor team is made of experienced AIARE instructors and professional mountain guides with decades of experience in avalanche terrain, from the Alps to Alaska to right here in Rocky Mountain National Park, one of the country’s premier winter adventure destinations. In addition to classroom work, our course includes field instruction each day to provide a well-rounded education to backcountry decision-making, trip planning, terrain selection, and companion rescue techniques. This course provides essential training for anyone traveling in avalanche terrain and can be taken on backcountry skis, split board, or snowshoes. With a maximum ratio of six students per instructor in a twenty seven-hour course, we exceed AIARE minimum standards to provide the highest level of instruction.
6:00: Introduction to CMS, AIARE & Course Logistics
6:15: Course Orientation
6:30: Avalanche Types, Characteristics & Problems
7:20: Case Study
8:10: Formation of Layers in the Mountain Snowpack
8:50: Homework & Goodnight
6:00: Questions and Review
6:15: Avalanche Terrain
7:00: Human Factors
8:00: Choose Terrain and Travel Wisely
8:50: Homework & Next Day Briefing
8:00: Questions and Review
8:15: Observe & Tour Planning with Guides
9:00: Transition to Parking Lot
9:15: Flux Line Demo
9:30: Travel to RMNP
10:00: Companion Rescue Practice
1:30: Snowpack Profile
3:30: Debrief in Large Group
4:55: Homework & Goodnight
8:00: Questions & Review
8:10: Tour Planning with Guides
9:00: Transition to Cars
9:15: Travel to RMNP
9:55: Terrain Tour & Small Group Debrief
3:25: Travel to Classroom
4:10: Learning Outcomes Review
4:20: Course Evaluations & Certificates
4:35: Mentorship, Resources & Ongoing Learning
4:55: Course Close
Reasons Why CMS AIARE Courses Are Worth It!
- CMS is the countries largest AIARE Provider for a reason!
- Our Instructors are educators, not just minimally qualified instructors
- We spend the majority of the course in the mountains, not inside
- We provide valuable pre-course material to help you prepare
- Our Instructors are career guides, with decades of personal experience
- Our Instructors are AMGA Ski Guide trained or Certified
- We have a full-time office staff to answer all of your questions
- We supply our students with their own slope meter
- Variety of course offerings to meet our guests scheduling needs. Huts (Berthoud), Splits, CMS, Summit, Aspen L2’s
- Get avalanche training in the ski venue you ski in locally.
- Fully sponsored by industry leaders Dynafit, Scarpa, Backcountry Access
- Full snow safety rental fleet
- Neptune Mountaineering ski shop support with rentals of ski equipment.
With a sixteen-bed lodge available, Colorado Mountain School provides students the opportunity to spend their entire stay in Estes Park without the hassle of commuting. Our lodge is conveniently located in downtown Estes Park and features a full kitchen, WiFi and hot showers. Reserve a bed now for just $40 per night (plus tax).
All of our courses can be run as custom outings. If your group is interested in a custom avalanche training course, please call us at 720-387-8944.
All Upcoming Dates and Locations:
- March 17, 2020 - March 22, 2020 - AIARE 1 Split Course - Denver, Colorado
- March 31, 2020 - April 5, 2020 - AIARE 1 Split Course - Denver, Colorado
- February 18, 2020 - February 23, 2020 - AIARE 1 Split Course - Denver,
- January 27, 2020 - February 2, 2020 - AIARE 1 Split Course - Boulder, Colorado
- February 10, 2020 - February 16, 2020 - AIARE 1 Split Course - Boulder, Colorado
- March 2, 2020 - March 8, 2020 - AIARE 1 Split Course - Boulder, Colorado
- April 6, 2020 - April 12, 2020 - AIARE 1 Split Course - Boulder, Colorado
- December 17, 2019 - December 22, 2019 - AIARE 1 Split Course - Denver, Colorado
- January 7, 2020 - January 12, 2020 - AIARE 1 Split Course - Denver, Colorado
- January 21, 2020 - January 26, 2020 - AIARE 1 Split Course - Denver, Colorado
- February 4, 2020 - February 9, 2020 - AIARE 1 Split Course - Denver, Colorado
- November 25, 2019 - December 1, 2019 - AIARE 1 Split Course - Boulder, Colorado