In the past the AIARE 2 was designed to be an entry level professional course. New for 2017, the redesigned AIARE 2 is designed specifically to meet the needs of advanced recreational students who have taken an AIARE 1 and Avalanche Rescue Class.
The AIARE 2 is a three-day/24-hour course that provides backcountry travelers an opportunity to advance their decision making skills in more complicated situations such as being a leader within a small travel group, traveling in more complicated terrain, and/or developing a travel plan where online resources are scarce.
The AIARE 2 builds on the introductory avalanche hazard management model introduced in the AIARE 1 and adds to it the evaluation of critical hazard assessment factors. Students will describe and discuss weather, snowpack and avalanche processes, and identify how these processes relate to observations and travel within avalanche terrain.
-AIARE 1 Course or equivalent Level 1 training is required.
–AIARE Avalanche Rescue Course (NEW 2017 REQUIREMENT; offered every Thursday and Sunday).
-Participants must be on an AT setup, Tele setup, or splitboard.
-Participants must know how to skin, ski hard blues/blacks at the resort, and ski in powder.
Who Should Take this Course:
The AIARE 2 is a three-day course for those who have taken an AIARE 1 and Avalanche Rescue and have had at least a year of backcountry travel experience. The AIARE 2 provides backcountry leaders the opportunity to advance their avalanche knowledge and decision making skills.
Reasons Why CMS AIARE Courses Are Worth It!
- CMS is the countries largest AIARE Provider for a reason!
- Our Instructors are educators, not just minimally qualified instructors
- We spend the majority of the course in the mountains, not inside
- We provide valuable pre-course material to help you prepare
- Our Instructors are career guides, with decades of personal experience
- Our Instructors are AMGA Ski Guide trained or Certified
- We have a full-time office staff to answer all of your questions
- We supply our students with their own slope meter
- Variety of course offerings to meet our guests scheduling needs. Huts (Berthoud), Splits, CMS, Summit, Aspen L2’s
- Get avalanche training in the ski venue you ski in locally.
- Fully sponsored by industry leaders Dynafit, Scarpa, BCA.
- Full snow safety rental fleet.
- Neptune ski shop support with rentals of ski equip.
With a sixteen-bed lodge available, Colorado Mountain School provides students the opportunity to spend their entire stay in Estes Park without the hassle of commuting. Our lodge is conveniently located in downtown Estes Park and features a full kitchen, WiFi and hot showers. Reserve a bed now for just $40 per night (plus tax).
All of our courses can be run as custom outings. If your group is interested in a custom avalanche training course, please call us at 800-836-4008.