This four-day Backcountry Development Series course is your comprehensive introduction to backcountry skiing and riding. The course combines the avalanche rescue skills with uphill and downhill skiing techniques. Participants will undertake the American Institute of Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE) Avalanche Rescue course to gain a solid theory and practice of these vital skills (and hopefully seldom used). Day two will focus on uphill and downhill in the controlled environment of Eldora Ski Area. This venue allows us easy access and maximum time to learn and practice these techniques! Day three puts the previous days skills to use in the backcountry with focus on terrain management, staying comfortable, track setting, and finding the good snow. Day four culminates with a classic ski tour in the world famous Rocky Mountain National Park. This is your jumpstart into the backcountry!
Day 1: We will go to Eldora Mountain Resort and get busy on our skis/boards. Topics include equipment types, taking skins on/off, proper skinning technique, layering management, downhill techniques and coaching.
Day 2: Today we expand our skills into the backcountry! We will cover track setting, practice riding in backcountry conditions, basic route finding, and where to look for the best snow!
Day 3: AIARE Avalanche Rescue course. You will learn learn the basics of companion rescue and have the opportunity to receive professional coaching their rescue skills and will receive a rescue card at course end.
Day 4: The course culminates in Rocky Mountain National Park which offers terrain for all skiers and splitboarders, including mellow glades, open bowls, steep couloirs and lofty summits. Expect a full day using all your new skills on this classic ski tour!
If you require lodging at our Estes Park Adventure Hostel, please make your reservations online in advance. Beds are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Our hostel features 16 beds in 3 rooms, bathrooms, showers, a full kitchen with appliances, dishes and utensils, wi-fi, ping-pong table, and a lounge area. Please be considerate of others lodgers during your stay.
Please note that all participants are responsible for their own Eldora Mountain Resort Uphill Ticket on Day 2 of this course. Daily passes are $25 and Annual Passes are $149.
All Upcoming Dates and Locations:
- December 13, 2019 - December 16, 2019 - Backcountry Development Series: Level 1 - Estes Park, Colorado
- December 20, 2019 - December 23, 2019 - Backcountry Development Series: Level 1 - Estes Park, Colorado
- January 10, 2020 - January 13, 2020 - Backcountry Development Series: Level 1 - Estes Park, Colorado
- January 24, 2020 - January 27, 2020 - Backcountry Development Series: Level 1 - Estes Park, Colorado
- January 31, 2020 - February 3, 2020 - Backcountry Development Series: Level 1 - Estes Park, Colorado
- February 21, 2020 - February 24, 2020 - Backcountry Development Series: Level 1 - Estes Park, Colorado
- February 28, 2020 - March 2, 2020 - Backcountry Development Series: Level 1 - Estes Park, Colorado
- March 20, 2020 - March 23, 2020 - Backcountry Development Series: Level 1 - Estes Park, Colorado