Intro to Ski & Splitboard Mountaineering is a two day course, after which students will be familiar with the advanced skills involved in choosing and carrying-out summit ski descents. We will practice skills to manage risk and travel efficiently in more complex backcountry terrain. The specific objective of the ski mountaineering course is to climb a mountain on skis or carrying them, and descend using techniques appropriate to the terrain.
- Advanced to expert resort skiing skills.
- Ability to ski in control in various snow conditions while wearing a pack.
- Previous backcountry skiing experience, including skinning on various terrain features.
- Familiarity with the use of a mountain axe and boot crampons.
- Familiarity with basic climbing knots, rope work, and rappelling techniques.
- AIARE 1 or equivalent strongly recommended.
Colorado Mountain School
341 Moraine Avenue
Estes Park, CO 80517
Colorado Mountain School offers a 16 bunk lodge that is conveniently located upstairs from our office and classroom in downtown Estes Park. The lodge features a full kitchen, WiFi, a lounge and hot showers. Reserve a bed now for just $40 per night (plus tax).
All of our courses can be run as private outings. If you’re interested in a course, but it doesn’t fit into your schedule, please check out our private guiding options.