Knowing where you are is the most basic mountaineering skill of all. Three-quarters of all rescue operations do not involve injuries, just locating lost hikers. This one-day, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado based, orienteering course will teach you how to navigate using a map, compass, altimeter, and GPS. Whether you’re a mountaineer, hiker or backcountry skier, this course is extremely useful. Mountain navigation skills are a must have skill set.
All of our courses can be run as custom outings. If you’re interested in a course, but it doesn’t fit into your schedule, please check out our custom guiding options.
This course is designed to teach students to travel with confidence in the backcountry. The following skills are covered in this course:
- Become skilled in topographic map reading – visualize maps in three dimensions
- Gain compass, altimeter, and basic GPS skills
- Learn to plan your intended routes before you go
- Learn to travel in unmarked terrain
Colorado Mountain School
341 Moraine Avenue
Estes Park, CO 80517
If you require lodging at our Estes Park Adventure Hostel, please make your reservations online in advance. Beds are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Our hostel features 16 beds in 3 rooms, bathrooms, showers, a full kitchen with appliances, dishes and utensils, wi-fi, ping-pong table, and a lounge area. Please be considerate of others lodgers during your stay.
We believe that your training is best taught by combining theoretical concepts and experiential learning. Some topics are best learned in a comfortable classroom setting and others in the mountains, moving through terrain. You’ll have both.
The first portion of your course will be conducted in a classroom setting. In the interest of health and safety for our students and instructors, classroom format for the 2020/21 season may include e-learning and/or group video discussions in an effort to limit close contact in closed spaces.
The majority of your course will take place in the mountains where we will learn in an open-air environment. You should be prepared, mentally and physically, to stay immersed in the backcountry for up to eight hours. You will be assigned to a small pod consisting of one Instructor and a maximum of six students to allow intimate instruction and physical distancing.The nature of this pandemic requires us to be flexible and adaptable in how we deliver a quality training experience. Rest assured, from the moment you enroll all the way up to your course field day(s) and beyond, our instructors will be a part of your learning progression and will provide you with the tools and resources you need to best prepare for your training. If you’d like to learn more about what we are doing to manage COVID-19 risk for our students and guides, please view our FAQ page.
All Upcoming Dates and Locations:
- April 27, 2021 - April 27, 2021 - Mountain Navigation - Estes Park, Colorado
- May 25, 2021 - May 25, 2021 - Mountain Navigation - Estes Park, Colorado
- June 1, 2021 - June 1, 2021 - Mountain Navigation - Estes Park, Colorado
- June 22, 2021 - June 22, 2021 - Mountain Navigation - Estes Park, Colorado
- July 20, 2021 - July 20, 2021 - Mountain Navigation - Estes Park, Colorado
- August 17, 2021 - August 17, 2021 - Mountain Navigation - Estes Park, Colorado
- September 14, 2021 - September 14, 2021 - Mountain Navigation - Estes Park, Colorado
- October 12, 2021 - October 12, 2021 - Mountain Navigation - Estes Park, Colorado