Knowing where you are is the most basic mountaineering skill of all. Three-quarters of all rescue operations do not involve injuries, just locating lost hikers. This one-day, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado based, orienteering course will teach you how to navigate using a map, compass, altimeter, and GPS. Whether you’re a mountaineer, hiker or backcountry skier, this course is extremely useful. Mountain navigation skills are a must have skill set.
Colorado Mountain School
341 Moraine Avenue
Estes Park, CO 80517
This course is designed to teach students to travel with confidence in the backcountry. The following skills are covered in this course:
- Become skilled in topographic map reading – visualize maps in three dimensions
- Gain compass, altimeter, and basic GPS skills
- Learn to plan your intended routes before you go
- Learn to travel in unmarked terrain
If you require lodging at our Estes Park Adventure Hostel, please make your reservations online in advance. Beds are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Our hostel features 16 beds in 3 rooms, bathrooms, showers, a full kitchen with appliances, dishes and utensils, wi-fi, ping-pong table, and a lounge area. Please be considerate of others lodgers during your stay.
All of our courses can be run as custom outings. If you’re interested in a course, but it doesn’t fit into your schedule, please check out our custom guiding options.
All Upcoming Dates and Locations:
- March 3, 2020 - March 3, 2020 - Mountain Navigation - Estes Park, Colorado
- March 31, 2020 - March 31, 2020 - Mountain Navigation - Estes Park, Colorado
- April 28, 2020 - April 28, 2020 - Mountain Navigation - Estes Park, Colorado
- May 26, 2020 - May 26, 2020 - Mountain Navigation - Estes Park, Colorado
- June 23, 2020 - June 23, 2020 - Mountain Navigation - Estes Park, Colorado