Alaska’s Chugach Mountain Range hosts some of the best ski terrain on the continent. On this 7-day trip you will sample the classic lines above Thompson Pass via human power and helicopter. On our Valdez Ski Mountaineering and Heli Tour, we keep our itinerary flexible in order to get the most out of our days. We tour to great ski descents and learn technical mountaineering skills along the way. Plus, with two mornings of heli bumps included, you get to experience more of what Valdez is legendary for!
With Colorado Mountain School you can experience all that Valdez has to offer at a fraction of the cost of a typical heli-ski trip. The flexibility in our itinerary means that even if the weather is poor and the helicopters are not flying, we can still be out having fun in the mountains ski touring and climbing. Let our AMGA Certified Ski Guide ensure you get the most out of your time in Alaska!
AIARE I Avalanche Education or similiar experience.
Because of the nature of the terrain, we ask that clients meet a minimum level of both fitness and skiing ability. Skiing in the Chugach often means great snow quality, but to ski off summits or tackle more technical objectives, clients must be able to ski in all snow conditions. The terrain is steep, rugged, and has natural hazards that must be navigated. Enrollment in the pre-requisite courses and/or a day of ski touring assessment in Rocky Mountain National Park is highly recommended to ensure a quality and fun experience. Individuals are always welcome to take one or more rest days to relax and explore the area.
Clients must be:
- In good health and physical condition
- Able to climb up to 5000’ vertical feet per day
- Able to ski in control in challenging snow conditions while wearing a pack
This expedition starts and ends in Valdez, AK. Flights are available directly to Valdez or shuttles/ferries can be arranged from Anchorage. Lodging is provided in downtown Valdez, close to the Bay, restaurants, and other amenities. Transportation is provided to each day’s site.
Expedition Cancellation Policy:
- A non-refundable $250 application fee will not be refunded from your initial deposit.
- 100% (minus application fee) will be refunded 121 days prior to trip start.
- 50% (minus application fee) will be refunded 91 to 120 days before trip start.
- 25% (minus application fee) will be refunded 46 to 90 days before trip start.
- 0% will be refunded 0 to 45 days before trip start.