Being able to build proper snow anchors is essential if you want to travel safely over snow covered technical terrain. The Colorado Mountain School Winter Anchor Clinic is an excellent course to pair up with the Crevasse Rescue course that is offered the following day. This course takes place in Rocky Mountain National Park. With its close proximity to Denver and Boulder, Rocky Mountain National Park is the perfect venue for such a course. This course focuses on various knots, snow anchor principals/considerations, racking gear, building specific snow anchors, rigging snow anchors, belay and rope travel techniques.
All of our courses can be run as custom outings. If you’re interested in a course, but it doesn’t fit into your schedule, please check out our custom guiding options.
Colorado Mountain School
341 Moraine Avenue
Estes Park, CO 80517
If you require lodging at our Estes Park Adventure Hostel, please make your reservations online in advance. Beds are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Our hostel features 16 beds in 3 rooms, bathrooms, showers, a full kitchen with appliances, dishes and utensils, wi-fi, ping-pong table, and a lounge area. Please be considerate of others lodgers during your stay.
We believe that your training is best taught by combining theoretical concepts and experiential learning. Some topics are best learned in a comfortable classroom setting and others in the mountains, moving through terrain. You’ll have both.
The first portion of your course will be conducted in a classroom setting. In the interest of health and safety for our students and instructors, classroom format for the 2020/21 season may include e-learning and/or group video discussions in an effort to limit close contact in closed spaces.
The majority of your course will take place in the mountains where we will learn in an open-air environment. You should be prepared, mentally and physically, to stay immersed in the backcountry for up to eight hours. You will be assigned to a small pod consisting of one Instructor and a maximum of six students to allow intimate instruction and physical distancing.The nature of this pandemic requires us to be flexible and adaptable in how we deliver a quality training experience. Rest assured, from the moment you enroll all the way up to your course field day(s) and beyond, our instructors will be a part of your learning progression and will provide you with the tools and resources you need to best prepare for your training. If you’d like to learn more about what we are doing to manage COVID-19 risk for our students and guides, please view our FAQ page.
All Upcoming Dates and Locations:
- December 12, 2020 - December 12, 2020 - Winter Anchor Clinic - Estes Park, Colorado
- January 16, 2021 - January 16, 2021 - Winter Anchor Clinic - Estes Park, Colorado
- February 13, 2021 - February 13, 2021 - Winter Anchor Clinic - Estes Park, Colorado
- March 6, 2021 - March 6, 2021 - Winter Anchor Clinic - Estes Park, Colorado
- March 20, 2021 - March 20, 2021 - Winter Anchor Clinic - Estes Park, Colorado
- April 3, 2021 - April 3, 2021 - Winter Anchor Clinic - Estes Park, Colorado
- April 17, 2021 - April 17, 2021 - Winter Anchor Clinic - Estes Park, Colorado
- May 1, 2021 - May 1, 2021 - Winter Anchor Clinic - Estes Park, Colorado
- May 15, 2021 - May 15, 2021 - Winter Anchor Clinic - Estes Park, Colorado
- May 29, 2021 - May 29, 2021 - Winter Anchor Clinic - Estes Park, Colorado